Wednesday, April 14, 2010

3

In a flash of reflection, I realized that my favorite number is actually 3. Prior to this, it’s 8, but that's only because of Chinese tradition and herd mentality. But now, it’s 3, yes, three. I figured that 3 is a balanced number, a number that can stand on itself, unlike 1 or 2, and it’s a simple number, not as frivolous as 4 or 5 or 8. They say that 2 is company and 3 is a crowd. In a group, I think the dynamics become a lot more loose and comfortable when there are 3 instead of 2 people. In social terms, 3 is the minimum number for fun. 3 also reflects my ideals very much - balance, independence, and simplicity. It’s also a symbol of stability, as 3 legs is the minimum number for any structure to stand, 3 is also the minimum for a stable vehicle, and 3 just fits right with the flow of things. 3 is also a divine number. If we base the luck of numbers with Chinese traditions, then they should share identical pronunciations with lucky things or concepts. 3 is with tree. With Chinese, 3 is san, which of course is the name of my mother. San also sounds closely like shan, which is the Chinese word for good.

No comments: